Monday, June 28, 2010

Monday night in the garden (and short update)...

Life is good in the garden! All of the open areas have been recovered with hay, keeping the bugs under control (no sign of that nasty hornworm!), waiting for the tomatoes to ripen (a few huge ones are starting to along with the cherry tomatoes), the beans and jalapeno peppers are starting to produce, the swiss chard is still an amazing crop, the cantaloupes and watermelons are getting crazy, the basil is still screaming "pesto", the cucumbers are creeping, the corn is the tallest stalks I've ever seen, still some strawberries, little bit of lettuce, the Rose of Sharon in the prayer garden has beautiful white blooms, and the zinnias are spectacular (despite the japanese beetles!)

So what's up for tonight? Just a few tasks of trimming, trellising, and turning to work on. It WILL be good!

Can you believe that I am giving up a "hot" garden night to go visit another garden? I am SO excited about a seminar this Wednesday at the Central Carolina Community College-Pittsboro Campus presented by The Natural Chef program and the Sustainable Agriculture program. The topic is "Local Food to the Rescue" and the speaker is Joel Salatin, a Virgina Farmer, and is also (hilarious) in the movie "Food, Inc." I've promoted that documentary in the past and it is still my favorite and a must see for all my gardening and health conscious friends! I'm thinking that this seminar will prove to be equally inspiring!

Please consider joining me at 5:30pm for a tour of the CCCC student farm followed by refreshments at 6:30 and the seminar begins at 7pm. This seminar comes at a perfect time when we are pretty caught up in the garden and just waiting for the tomatoes to turn red! Since I "work" in Pittsboro, I'll be going directly there. Please let me know if you need a ride or I can help in organizing a car pool. Sorry for the short notice on this! The flyer that PJ gave me got buried under some gardening books!

For more info you can go to http://www.cccc.edu/news/viewStory.php?storyNum=396 Also www.cccc.edu/naturalchef and www.cccc.edu/sustainableag

It WILL BE GOOD!

-Donna